Pleon Fall Sailing is Awesome For Building Skills!
Every fall season Pleon's deep bench of talented coaches get 420 and Optimist sailors back on the water for race development clinics. The Pleon fall program is designed to improve and develop racing skills of Opti and 420 sailors when the breeze is up. Please be aware this program is not for those new to sailing. The prerequisite is that the sailor is comfortable in sailing in 10-15 knots of wind.
The curriculum covers boat handling techniques, sail trim, boat speed, tactics and strategy. Sailors get lots of attention and coaching feedback. Practices are offered for all levels of racing sailors in a clinic format that is more structured and rigorous than the summer program experience. Having fun will still be a key element of the program but emphasis is placed on the sharing of learning new skills and racing techniques with the goal of challenging each other to improve and develop racing acumen.
Sailors are required to wear gear appropriate for fall sailing conditions with cold water and air temperatures. Sailors must bring a PFD, proper footwear, gloves, hat, water and snacks. Drysuits or wetsuits are required for practice.
Safety is a priority and practices will be held on land if two of the following are accurate:
- Wind is sustained above 20 mph
- Air temperature is below 30 degrees
- Water temperature is below 40 degrees
The coach deems sailing conditions unsafe.
The program runs on 7 weekends, Saturdays and Sundays. Saturdays will focus more on developing racing sailors and Sundays will focus more on experienced racing sailors. Each program day start at 11am ready and rigged and ends at 4pm. The parent gate/no-go zone is also in effect during the Fall.
2019 Fall Schedule:
- Weekend 1: Saturday September 7, Sunday September 8
- Weekend 2: Saturday September 14, Sunday September 15
- Weekend 3: Saturday September 21, Sunday September 22
- Weekend 4: Saturday September 28, Sunday September 29
- Weekend 5: Saturday October 5, Sunday October 6
- Columbus day weekend: Closed.
- Weekend 6: Saturday October 19, Sunday October 20
- Weekend 7: Saturday October 26, Sunday October 27 - Halloween Howl regatta in Newport.
2019 Fall Fees:
- 420: $610 for 8 days, plus 6 days for free, includes regatta coaching
- Opti: $610 for 8 days, plus 6 days for free, includes regatta coaching
- Pleon membership: $50 - waived if sailor was enrolled in the Summer 2018 program
- Charter a 420 for $100 or an Opi for $50
Emily Croteau- 420s
Jordan Bothwick - 420s
Ben Zorfas - Optis