Another Season For Building Skills....
Every fall season Pleon's deep bench of talented coaches get 420 and Optimist sailors back on the water for race development clinics. The Pleon fall program is designed to improve and develop racing skills of Opti and 420 sailors when the breeze is up. Please be aware this program is not for those new to sailing. The prerequisite is that the sailor is comfortable in sailing in 10-15 knots of wind.
The curriculum covers boat handling techniques, sail trim, boat speed, tactics and strategy. Sailors get lots of attention and coaching feedback. Practices are offered for all levels of racing sailors in a clinic format that is more structured and rigorous than the summer program experience. Having fun will still be a key element of the program but emphasis is placed on the sharing of learning new skills and racing techniques with the goal of challenging each other to improve and develop racing acumen.
Sailors are required to wear gear appropriate for fall sailing conditions with cold water and air temperatures. Sailors must bring a PFD, proper footwear, gloves, hat, water and snacks. Drysuits or wetsuits are required for practice.
Safety is a priority and practices will be held on land if two of the following are accurate:
- Wind is sustained above 20 mph
- Air temperature is below 30 degrees
- Water temperature is below 40 degrees
The coach deems sailing conditions unsafe.
The program runs on 6 weekends, Saturdays and Sundays. Saturdays will focus more on developing racing sailors and Sundays will focus more on experienced racing sailors. Each program day start at 11am ready and rigged and ends at 4pm. The parent gate/no-go zone is also in effect during the Fall.
- Weekend 1: Saturday September 8, Sunday September 9
- Weekend 2: Saturday September 15, Sunday September 16
- Weekend 3: Saturday September 22, Sunday September 23
- Weekend 4: Saturday September 29, Sunday September 30
- Columbus day weekend: Closed. Based on interest we may send an Opti coach to support sailors who attend the Opti New England's regatta in Newport.
- Weekend 5: Saturday October 13, Sunday October 14
- Weekend 6: Saturday October 20, Sunday October 21
- Halloween weekend: Closed. Based on interest we may send an Opti coach and/or 420 coach to support sailors who attend the Halloween Howl regatta in Newport.
- 12 days 420: $550
- 12 days Opti: $550
- Pleon membership: $50 - waived if sailor was enrolled in the Summer 2018 program
- Charter a 420 for $100 or an Opi for $50
Jordan Bothwick - 420s
Kelly Stannard Leibowitz- 420s
Ben Zorfas - Optis
Tomas Hornos - Optis
Join our email list to receive other updates.