June 17, 2021
Hello Pleon Parents and Sailors,
One of the most important aspects of Pleon is the sense of responsibility that it instills into the sailors. One of the main ways that Pleon does this is by having the sailors take on responsibility by becoming members of committees to help run and take care of the club. The four committees, Grounds, House and Entertainment, Race, and Flag, all contribute to Pleon running smoothly each and every year. These positions, along with the executive committee and flag officers, are crucial in the everyday functioning of Pleon while at the same time reinforcing the principles of responsibility and ownership in the sailors. The role of each committee is outlined below. Anyone who sails at Pleon can be a member of one of the committees, and I would highly encourage participation for all, as I have many fond memories of participating in these committees in the past.
Below the responsibilities for each committee are sign ups for the various committees. Once again I highly encourage participation in one of these committees. Ideally, we would have about 6-8 sailors per committee. In the flag committee specifically, there are usually eight members, with each member taking the responsibility of raising and lowering the flag for one week. Please let me know if you have any questions.
House and Entertainment
- Help advertise social events by making signs and reminding peers.
- Arrive early to any social event (movie night, cookout, etc.) to help clean and decorate
- Remain after an event is over to help clean
- General cleaning of the clubhouse and encourage my peers to keep the club clean
- Report to my Commodore and respective Executive Committee member concerning my duties to this committee.
- Aid coaches on race committee boats during Wednesday Series at least twice.
- Help out on race committee boats during MJRW (if not competing).
- Report to my Commodore and respective Executive Committee member concerning my duties on this committee.
- General cleaning the clubhouse
- Pick up trash in the clubhouse, on the deck, and on the grounds
- Place full trash barrels in a dock cart and wheel them to the EYC dumpster
- Encourage my peers to keep the club clean
- Stay after class at least once a week to complete these tasks
- Report to my Commodore and respective Executive Committee member about my Grounds duties.
- Report to Pleon every morning at 8am for one week to raise the flags.
- Return the same evening at sunset to lower and store the flags.
Here is the link to sign up: