Pleon Seeks Part-Time Seasonal Bosun
January 30, 2018
Pleon Yacht Club in Marblehead, Massachusetts, the oldest junior yacht club in the world, is looking for a part-time bosun to help maintain its fleet and facilities. The position is predominately during the summer, but will require some additional hours during the shoulder seasons as the club winds up and down. The bosun is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the club's 30 Optimists, 3 Sonars, 20 Club 420s and Lasers. The bosun will work closely with the program director, sailing coaches, and various board members to ensure proper maintenance and preservation of the fleet. The boson will, at times, perform duties beyond the management of the club's fleet including the upkeep of various systems at the club house and the coordination of activities with fleet trailers, dollies and support craft. The position is expect to require approximately 20 hours per week, with routine "office hours" throughout the sailing season, however there is some flexibility depending on the proper candidate.
- Extensive experience in sailboat and powerboat maintenance. Ideal candidate will have experience with a club-owned fleet of 10+ sailboats
- Extensive knowledge of sailboat racing. The ideal candidate will have experience in multiple classes and disciplines including both dinghies and keel boats.
- Extensive experience trailering boats and operating a boat crane. Having access to a car/truck with a towing hitch is a big plus.
- While gel coat and fiberglass experience is certainly helpful, we tend to outsource most of this work to a local repair shop
- Experience handling all types of rigging including line and mast rigging
- Understanding and execution of maintenance routines required for institutional assets
- Computer literate in scheduling and ordering as it pertains to duties
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain thorough inventories of boats and parts
- Outgoing personality, diplomatic, flexible, trustworthy and goal-oriented
- Team-oriented with a clear ability to work positively with others
- Must be able to work well with kids and be supportive of a friendly and safe environment
If interested, contact Ben Blaisdell