Week 4 Update
July 17, 2017
Last week sailors faced stormy seas, and still managed to have fun and get on the water!
Our program was small towards the end of the week, as all three race teams were away competing at the Ida Lewis, Secor Volvo Ocean, and Higham Regattas. All our sailors CRUSHED IT!! Congrats to all the racers!
- TODAY we will have our abundance of lost and found items spread out by the gate. Make sure you stop by to see if any of it is yours! All items remaining in the lost and found will be donated on Friday the 21st!
Green Team sign-ups are OPEN! The Green Team is a fun alternative for Pleon sailors who do not want to race in MJRW. Sailors stay on land and help run the regatta! In their recognizable tie-dye uniforms, the Green Team is a crucial element to the race week team, ensuring smooth launches and semi-organized grounds. See me to sign up now!! Just take it from this anonymous source “Green team was the best experience of my entire life”.
- Sail with or Against your Parents Night is tomorrow, July 18th from 6-7:30pm.
Hingham Bay Regatta
- Thursday was cold, wet & windy. Friday was an overcast day with light wind & current to contend with. Pleon was incredibly well represented, and our sailors made their club proud.
Opti Race Team with Coach Nik
- Opti Race member Dylan Balunas took home 1st place in Opti the Champ fleet, followed by teammate Pearse Dowd in 2nd!
- Dylan also took home the Thomas E. Curtis Jr Award, for best performance in largest fleet!
Dylan showing off his bling!
- Opti 1's Max Dressel placed 2nd in Opti Green!
Max with his 1st Place Green Fleet Award
- Phil Jeffries and Megan Yorz of 420 Development placed 3rd in 420 Champ, and Toby Bookman of Opti 1 placed 3rd in Opti White!
- Congrats to all the sailors returning from Hingham!
Secor Volvo Fishers Island Sound Regatta
- The Secor Volvo Fishers Island Sound Regatta is unlike all other regattas. It consists of six races, three each day, covering a total of 20 miles. The races are from point to point, as opposed to around buoys like all other dinghy regattas. Between the two days all sailors and coaches stay overnight on Fishers Island. The first day there was very little wind and a chance of thunderstorms but the race committee got in all three races. The second day there was more wind and although it was raining there was no chance of thunderstorms.
- 18 Pleon sailors competed in the event, with Wil Bedford and Anders Kearney taking 3rd overall!
420 Race Team at the Secor Volvo Fishers Island Sound Regatta
Week 4 was crazy awesome and I could not be more proud of the sailors who were in Marblehead or the sailors who were away racing. Everyone is learning and getting faster each day, and demonstrating a solid understanding of what it means to be a competitor, a teammate, and a member of the Pleon community.
Thank you for making the first half of the summer so fantastic!
- Commodore Chloe