The 2017 Spring Season is here!
Our Spring Program Coordinator, Jared Rodriguez, will lead our coaching staff including Jordan Bothwick, Kyle Assad, Will Bailey, Steph Hudson, Tomas Hornos, Alex Levin and Ben Zorfas. If you are preparing for Opti Team Trials, refining your 420 skills or strengthening your Opti racing game before this summer, our awesome coaches will deliver you the best learning experience.
Clinics will be held on weekend days where new theory will be discussed, then put in practice on the water and lastly tested in a light racing format. The curriculum covers boat handling techniques, sail trim, speed, tactics, and strategy. Sailors will get lots of attention and coaching feedback.
The program is designed to improve and develop your racing skills and is not meant for those new to sailing. Practices are offered for all levels of racing sailors. Clinic days are more structured and rigorous than the summer program experience. Having fun will still be a key element of the racing program, but emphasis is placed on the sharing of learning new skills and racing techniques with the goal of challenging each other to improve and develop racing acumen.
Sailors are required to wear gear appropriate for spring sailing conditions with water temperature cold in the 30s and 40s and air temperatures in the 30s. Sailors must bring PFD, proper footwear, water and snacks. Drysuits are required for practice.
Lastly, safety is a priority and practices will be held on land if two of the following are accurate: (1) the wind is sustained above 20 mph, (2) air temperature is below 30 degrees, (3) water temperature is below 40 or (4) the coach deems sailing conditions unsafe.
Eligibility requirements, subject to the coach’s discretion, are as follows:
(1) 420 Race Team – racing experience and a minimum of 14 years of age as of December 31, 2016
(2) Opti Race Team – must have finished top 65-percentile in at least two Opti Championship Fleet division regattas and completed either Pleon’s summer Opti 1 or fall Opti Champ or equivalent program
(3) Opti Development Team – must have competed in at least two Opti Green Fleet division regattas and completed either Pleon’s Opti Intermediate summer or fall Opti Green program. Minimum age 9 as of July 31, 2017
(4) please email Jared Rodriguez at firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance before you register
* Sailors should be rigged and ready at 11am.